What batteries are recommended for the MSEZ instrument?
The batteries supplied with MSEZ were selected because they meet 3 requirements;
- They have a minimum capacity, or they can hold a given amount of energy. ie now they are 2000mA in capacity. This allows for an acceptable number of flashes before they need to be replaced.
- They are rechargeable. We supply a charger as well. Many standard non-rechargeable batteries may work too but this can get expensive.
- They have a minimum internal resistance. This is very important for a MSEZ and why other batteries cause the instrument to display “FFFFF” or behave erratically. What happens when “poor” quality batteries or batteries with high internal resistance is the following. During the charge cycle of the lamp capacitor, the high internal resistance of the battery causes a voltage drop across the batteries. This results in the voltage supplied to the internal microprocess to fall below the minimum specification to keep it running and resets the microprocessor. When this happens the processor temporarily loses track of what it was doing and displays a “FFFFF” error on the screen.
The MSEZ and CFEZ Lamps D02-1013-925 (M3L4) have been improved and require new installation procedures. The new lamp has a copper shield installed on the back of the lamp which uses one of the mounting screws to hold it on.
For detailed information, see the attachment.
I have the D02-1014-427 MSEZ LAV Screw-On Nose Cone and the plastic lens is all scratched what do I need to order to replace this?
There are two choices.
A02-1014-428 LAV Replacement Screw-On Poly End Cap is the assembled screw-on cap with the PC lens glued in place, the current selling price is $260.00
A04-1009-548 Lens, PolyCarbonate, Lower Nose Cone is just the PC lens, the current selling price is $ 14.00
If you purchase just the lens you will need to remove the old lens, remove the old adhesive from the screw-on cap, then glue in the new lens.
Depending on how often you need to change out the PC what some customers do is purchase a second and sometimes a third complete end cap, return all pieces with the sensor for yearly calibration. At that time we can install new PC into the caps for just the price of the lens as part of the calibration procedure.
I work in the food industry and use the MSEZ with a nosecone that has a plastic lens since we cannot use glass out in our production area. It seems that the lens scratches easily, is there a harder plastic that we can use?
The lens material is Polycarbonate (PC), the only alternatives that offer the same light transmission properties are Acrylic and Glass. Typically Acrylic (PMMA, trademarked name is Plexiglas) has the same scratch resistance was PC. Do you think the scratches are occurring because of the lens interaction with the measured product (e.g. the specimen being measured is causing the scratches) or is the scratching occurring because the measured products leaves a residue, film, or some type of substance on the lens and then the cleaning process is causing the scratches?. If the product is causing the scratches then the only alternative is to replace the lens at more frequent intervals. If the cleaning process is causing the scratches then please research microfiber and chamois cloths and only use water or water mixed with a laboratory grade glass/clear plastic detergent to clean the lens.
FAQ: "Does a barcode reader work without the computer? That is, can I directly hook it to the MiniScan EZ?"
The A13-1014-254 USB Barcode Scanner does not require a computer interface but connects directly into the MiniScan EZ with a small adapter A21-1013-859 cable that comes standard with the sensor.
A13-1014-254 USB Barcode Scanner
This USB barcode reader is automatically detected by MSEZ through the USB Adapter Cable A21-1013-859 (comes standard with MSEZ) and scans product IDs directly into the instrument.
After every reading the User is prompted to read in the barcode as a Sample ID. This barcode is part of the saved data record in the Datalog and will be exported to a CSV file.
The customer can use their own third-party USB barcode scanner and it should work. If they purchase A13-1014-254 USB Barcode Scanner, we guarantee it will work.
FAQ: "Does this USB barcode reader work with ColorFlex EZ"
Yes, only you just need the A21-1012-995 USB Standard cable (1 meter long) that attaches to the USB barcode reader. It plugs into one of the 2 USB ports on the side of the CFEZ without any further adapter cables.
FAQ: "I am using a MiniScan EX and reading in product barcodes as Sample IDs on site, then I return to the lab and upload the data records into EasyMatch QC.
I then will use the MiniScan EZ in the lab to make measurements but here it will make measurements directly to EZMQC. Will this A13-1014-254 USB Barcode Scanner read directly into the Sample ID prompt of EasyMatch QC tethered to the MSEZ?"
Yes. You just have to plug this USB barcode scanner directly into a USB port. Your Windows operating system should recognize this device and load the driver for it automatically through Windows.
If it does not, go to the web site of the barcode scanner manufacturer and download the appropriate driver for installation. It should be recognized and you can scan in a barcode into the Standard or Sample ID.
FAQ: "Can I also scan in barcode entries for products into the Product and Extra ID fields?"
Yes, as far as EasyMatch is concerned, scanning in a barcode is just like you typing it in on a keyboard.
FAQ: Can this this A13-1014-254 USB Barcode Scanner work in EasyMatch QC work with other sensors We have a MiniScan EZ in the field and want to use the barcode scanner there, and an UltraScan VIS in the lab. All of the data will be uploaded or read into EasyMatch QC."
Yes, in EasyMatch QC, you can use the A13-1014-254 USB Barcode Scanner to enter barcode entries into Standard, Sample, Series, Product and Extra ID string fields for any HunterLab sensor model.
FAQ: "We have barcode scanner that is attached to the keyboard on our PC. Can this be used to enter Sample IDs into EasyMatch QC?"
Yes. Your barcode reader is just like a keyboard entry to our software. Both are allowed.
FAQ: "How many languages does the MZEZ display?"
HunterLab sells our products world-wide. As of version 2.0 (Main Menu/About) messages and prompts can display in English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Spanish and Simplified Chinese.
To change languages, go to Main Menu/Global Options/Language. Press right or left arrow keys to select your language (English is default).
- Battery Recommendation for the MSEZ
- MSEZ New Lamp Replacement Instructions
- D02-1014-427 MSEZ LAV Screw-On Nose Cone
- MSEZ nosecone lens scratches easily.
- USB Barcode Scanner for MSEZ, CFEZ, D25Lt and EasyMatch QC+ER
- Languages available for MiniScan EZ
- Keyboard (A13-1014-294)
- 45/0 LAV Nose Cone with Lower Glass Assembly (A02-1002-129)or Nose Cone with Lower Polycarbonate Assembly (B02-1009-500)
- 45/0 LAV Fiber Package Adapter (C02-1002-030)
- External Serial Printer (A13-1014-259)
- Bar Code Scanner (A13-1014-294)
- 420-nm UV Filter Assembly (A02-1009-954)